CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1997

Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 06:22:48 -0500
<<Reply from a confocal company employee>>

Coming from England, it took me the longest time to figure out what was so
bad about a football-shaped sampling volume!

My guess is that there are two things going on here:
1/  The point spread function will indeed elongate very small structures in
the Z direction to make them football shaped, but this will not change the
size of larger structures, except perhaps to make their tops and bottoms more
fuzzy.

2/  If the aspect ratio of your pixels is a little out of whack, the whole
image gets stretched in the Z-dimension.  Using the refractive index
correction should help, but you should really find out what is happening
before you hide it.

Given the sample, I doubt if a real refractive mismatch effect could give so
large an error.  The first confocal system I ever used had an XY aspect ratio
of about 1:1.4, which had to be "corrected" with the vertical hold of the
monitor.

I suggest you try an X-Z image through the beads and see if it still gives
the same effect.  XZ images are built directly from scanning in X and Z
rather than being assembled in software from a large number of slices.  If
the error disappears, the problem is in the rendering.  If not, suspect the
Z-drive or the accuracy of reported X-Y pixel size.

Have you tried larger beads?  Molecular Probes has some very nice FocalCheck
beads which I helped them develop for just this kind of problem.  They are 15
microns in diameter with two or more fluorophores embedded under their outer
surface to give a sharp ring structure when seen in cross section.  If your
voxels are cubes, they will appear as circles in any direction.  If your
voxels are elongate, they will become footballs.

I just couldn't resist this online plug, but if you would like to talk to me
off-line, I will see if I can rustle up a slide for you to try.

It's hip to be square!

David Carter
Applications Scientist
Meridian Instruments