CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:27:11 CST
Pekka,

You can safely use ordinary glass slides for ordinary fluorescence - just
make sure that they are clean: dust and grease often are very fluorescent
and can make viewing your preparations less than optimal. If you coat your
slides to assist sections adhering to them (something based of albumen,
polyornithine, or whatever), the coating solution also needs to be clean
(we filter ours before use) and not too thick, or it may increase
background fluorescence, not because the coating itself is particularly
fluorescent, but because you may get more non-specific sticking of your
fluorescent probes (such as labelled antibodies) to the coating...

Good luck,
IAN

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997 16:55:04 +0300, Pekka Katila wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are looking for microscope slides which would cause
>low fluorescence background.
>
>Does anyone have experience on the fluorescence background
>of the ordinary slides in the visible 500 to 650 nm ?
>Are the slides used in the fluorescence microscopy of some
>special glass ?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Pekka Katila
>VTT Electronics
Professor Ian Gibbins                         Flinders Microscopy &
Department of Anatomy and Histology            Image Analysis Facility
Flinders University of South Australia
GPO Box 2100 Adelaide 5001                    Centre for Neuroscience
AUSTRALIA
Phone:  +61-8-2045271
FAX:    +61-8-2770085
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]