CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1997

Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 22:57:41 -0400
Dear John,

I am trying to quantify axial distortion of fluorescent polystyrene
beads (10 um). Is anyone aware of an aqueous or liquid medium with a
refractive index >1.6 which will not dissolve polystyrene on contact?

Cargille makes a wide range of immersion oils which should be safe with
polystyrene.  You can even get calibrated refraction index series, which I
have used for determining the approximate refractive index of unknown
plastics (when you can't see the edges in full field, the RI matches).  These
kits are not cheap, but I think you get what you pay for.

I don't have the company address at my fingertips, but I can dig it out for
you if you need more than the name.

I have no affiliation and so on...

David Carter
  @  @  @