CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1997

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:17:51 -0800
I wholeheartedly agree with Steve's opinion regarding the problems with
different removeable media formats.  The problems, on PCs, also extend
into the combination of SCSI software and boards used to format the
media.  Many combinations are incompatible with others.

We use the CD as an archive and a means of distribution.  The PD 650 is
our standard for temporary storage.  It was chosen for cost, and the
reliability of older phase change drives. Our intent was to allow
individuals to have high capacity personal disks so that they would be
self reliant for storing working files and backup.   Other labs have
their own philosophies, even not supporting any removable medium.   The
important point is to choose a standard for temporary storage and resist
the temptation to buy other formats just because "everybody else has
them".

>For a multiuser facility there really is no alternative in my opinion.
>For a
>single laboratory use there is an argument for the other systems.
>
>Regards,
>
>    //\\\                   Stephen H. Cody,
>   (o /\\\

Regards,
Glen MacDonald
Virginia Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 35-7923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195-7923
(206) 616-4156
The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better.", so I bought a Macintosh.