CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1997

From:
"Kurt M. Scudder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:26:00 +0100
Since the discussion is on CDs as a storage format, I thought I would bring
to the group's attention two software products which greatly facilitate the
use of CDs and other removeable media in a mixed PC/Mac environment. Both
are from Software Architects. The Mac product, DosMounter95, allows Macs to
read PC media. The PC product, Here&Now, allows PCs to read Mac media.
Demos of both are available from the Software Architects web site:

http://www.softarch.com/

Wait a minute, you mac users are saying - I already get PC Exchange with
the Mac OS. Why should I buy DosMounter95? At least three reasons:

1. DosMounter95 works with CDs - PC Exchange does not.
2. DosMounter95 uses the Win95 long file name - PC Exchange does not.
3. DosMounter95 works with all removeable media - Zip, Jaz, Optical
disk,floppy, you name it. I have junked all my other drivers, including the
Iomega Jaz driver - DosMounter95 does it all.

The mirror image product for PC, Here&Now, does all the same things for the
PC - you can read Mac floppies, Jaz disks, Optical disks, CD-ROMs, etc. Mac
file names are mapped to Win95 long file names. It even has intelligent
mapping from the Mac type and creator to the associated Windows application
- a Mac MS Word file on mac media, when double-clicked, will open MS Word
on the PC, independent of whether the file name has the right (or any)
three-letter extension. For things like TIFF files, you can tell it which
Windows app to open just like you can on the Mac.

I have no affiliation with Software Architects other than being a satisfied
customer. I hope at least one person finds this useful!

Regards,

Kurt

Kurt M. Scudder, Research Scientist          tel: +45 4442 1412
Novo Nordisk BioImage                             fax: +45 4442 1411
Moerkhoej Bygade 28                               email: [log in to unmask]
DK-2860 Soeborg, Denmark