CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1997

From:
Peter Stalmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:59:01 +0200
At 03:28 PM 7/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone have a problem with CD-ROMs crashing as new data is written to
them.
>This happens to me a lot and the disk becomes totally unusable.  Any tips
>on how to avoid this.  I am using Philips CDD2000 and Corel CD creator.
>No matter what the medium, be sure you have a second backup.

We started storing our confocal data on CD-ROM almost two years ago, and
were at that time using Windows 95 and Corel CD creator II on a Philips
CDD2000 writer. This caused similar problems since the not-so-good
multitasking capabilities of Win95 did not allow a continuous feeding of
data to the disk writer, thereby causing a crash.
We switched to Windows NT 4.0, and since then CD recording goes without any
problems. Note however, Corel CD creator II DOES run in NT 3.51, but DOES
NOT run in NT 4.0
We are using Adaptec Easy-CD Pro 2 instead.

My advice:
1) Do not use Windows 95, go for Windows NT or another operating system
that allows true multitasking
2) You can use multisession, but do not forget you lose 16 Mb for every
session written! Therefore, create a harddisk partition of approximately
600 Mb that you can write in a single session on a CD.

Peter Stalmans, MD

Laboratory of Physiology KULeuven
Herestraat 49
B-3000 Leuven