CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1997

From:
Maya Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 15:07:18 -0600
I just want to say thank you for all of the great advice that everybody gave me.
Sorry it took so long to post this thanks, but I've been surfing the great web
pages you guys suggested, and the great links... and so on, and so on, and so on.

Guy Cox thought that I might not a confocal scope, but after much searching I did
find a panel on the back of the scope that did say LSM 10 in microscopically small
print.  I think the first number (version 2.08) that I quoted in my original message
was probably for the computer software.

A few other "newbie confocalist's" contacted me, and for their benefit here
is longwinded a summary of the suggestions that I received.

Most of you suggested that first, and foremost, I pick up a copy of THE confocal
bible, that no lab should be without,  the "Handbook of Biological Confocal
Microscopy" by James Pawley, 2nd edition.

The microscopy course at Woods Hole was also suggested a couple of
times, but,  Ted I. figured correctly, my needs are much more immediate, I've
had 8 people in the last two weeks inquire about using the scope!!  At any
rate I will look into the course for the future.  A course application can be
found at <http://www.mbl.edu/html/GUIDE/course.7.html>.

Several of you suggested  Lance "Spider" Ladic's web page as a good
resource <http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/ladic/confocal.html>.

It was also suggested to try the molecular probes catalog and web page
which has research references that may be useful.

Contacting Zeiss was suggested also.  (My department is setting up a training
session for me as I type)

Dr. Bob Bagnell who runs the Imaging Facility at UNC Chapel Hill and His
assistant Vicky Madden were also suggested as a good resource.

<http://www.amc.anl.gov/Docs/NonANL/EduSites.html#USA> was suggested
as a good "Links" page with specific reference to the University of North Carolina link.

<http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/exp_path.html> was just good period. Lot's
of good links also

<http://www.videomicroscopy.com> has books, jobs, links, tips and much more.

Thank You  Again For All Of Your Help.