CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1997

From:
Michael Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 11:27:00 +0100
Hello confocalists

Firstly thanks to everybody who sent suggestions re solving the problem of
mounting a PC formatted Jaz cartridge (with confocal files from a Leica TCS
confocal) in a Jaz drive connected to a Mac and allowing one to transfer
the files. The problem was that as soon as the cartridge was inserted, one
got just two choices either eject the cartridge or re-initialise it as a
Mac cartridge thus losing all data.

I did get a solution for our system which may be of interest to others so I
give it here.

Firstly I changed the driver of the Jaz drive on the Mac which was a
proprietary D2 driver (the drive though an Iomega drive mechanism was from
D2. The new driver was downloaded free of charge from the Iomega WWW site
at http://www.iomega.com/support/software/mac.html This is a very busy site
and can be very slow. However, since I'm in Europe it was easy and rapid to
down load from it at 9am (middle of the night in the USA).

Secondly the Mac system utility PC Exchange was present in the control
panels. Note that oddly enough the utility DOS Mounter 95 (I downloaded a
demo copy) did NOT work even though it seems a very nice utility. A
possible reason for this is that I am using MacOS 8 and Dos Mounter may not
yet be adjusted for System 8.

Thirdly all other drivers such as the D2 proprietary one, Silverlining etc
were removed from the System folder - disabling them in Extensions Manager
is probably sufficient. Note that on the Mac it seems that some drivers
reside in the Control panels folder and others in the Extensions folder.

The net result is that the cartridge now "mounts" or appears on the Mac
desktop and files can be transferred to the Mac hard disk just by dragging
from Jaz to hard disk. I hope this may be of use to somebody out there.

Regards

Mike Kane

Physiology Department
University College
Galway
Ireland
Ph: 353-91-524411
Fx: 353-91-750544 (direct line); also 353-91-525700
em: [log in to unmask]