CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1997

From:
Jonathan Sheehan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 14:57:36 CST
We have one of each in our lab. My own preference is slightly in
favor of the Codonics. I've seen little difference in quality or
speed, but the Codonics support, in my experience, has been stellar.
I second Sue's praise for Erica Sommers and the troubleshooters at
Codonics, who once logged on to my printer within minutes of my e-
mail, diagnosed and fixed a problem that was our fault, quickly and
at no charge. Quite impressive. They have also been quick with fixes
for hardware problems. We've had virtually no down-time.

In terms of ease-of-use (the highest priority for some folks), both
printers have their quirks, but if the Codonics is set up as a
networked server running Imageweb (and including the Postscript
option), it can provide nearly brain-free service for basic
printing, via Netscape (or any forms-capable browser). Fancier
options are available for those willing to learn FTP. It's quite
secure and I've not encountered the "powering down" problem.

Prints run $2.50 / page. There is a small problem of the media's
sensitivity to humidity fluctuations. I believe that has been
discussed here before.

-Jonathan Sheehan
Vanderbilt Cell Imaging Core Lab

P.S. Someone was looking for on-line manuals... When the printer is
accessed online, the entire user manual is available (as PDF files).