CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1998

Sender:
From:
Damian Neuberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:21:44 -0600
Has anyone upgraded a Dell Pentium used with a MRC1000 from Windows 3.1 to
95?  I have a new Dell Poweredge 2200/233 that BioRad shipped with 3.1 and
COMOS and DOS which is their standard, supported configuration.  I've been
told that I can upgrade to Windows 95 even though they do not officially
support that operating platform.  The computer has 64 MB memory, 2.1 G SCSI
hard drive, network card, 21" NEC monitor, SCSI CD-ROM, floppy drive, etc..
 I'm upgrading the video card to a Maxtor Millenium II with 8 MB memory
since the existing card has only 1 MB memory.  Also since the SCSI card
does not have an external connection, will add another SCSI for a Jaz drive
and the original Panasonic optical drive as well as so I can attach a SCSI
based digital camera.

Can someone give me a few ideas about how to go about upgrading to 95 (in
addition to backing up the C drive onto a Jaz disk with Drive Image).
Should I just format the C drive and start from scratch?  Do I then boot to
DOS and add COMOS?  How do you run COMOS?  In a full DOS window under Win
95?  How stable is it?  Do you recommend sticking with Win 3.1 (very
inconvenient with all the other software I want to use on the machine).

All help will be appreciated!

Damian Neuberger