CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1998

Sender:
From:
Jody Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 15:25:51 -0500
To:  Anyone who knows anything about digitized images, scanners, and printers.
From:   Michael Ligorio, Ph.D.
        University of Miami
        Department of Physiology and Biophysics

We have a Kodak dye-sublimation printer in our department.  I
use flatbed and 32mm scanners to digitize photographs and
negatives.  I adjust these images in Photoshop and then
print them on color film paper.

As you know, the higher the number of pixels/inch in each
image the larger the resulting file.  Unfortunately, larger
files take longer to save, print and process in Photoshop.

Because of this inconvenience, I do not want to make files
any larger than necessary.  Assuming I don't change the size
of the original print, what is the mimimal scanning resolution
that will result in the sharpest possible picture, if the printer's output
limit is 300 dpi?  And, if I want to make the final print, for example,
twice as many square inches in size as the
original, by how much should I increase the scanning
resolution?

Please respond to the group or to my email [log in to unmask]

Jody Myers, Ph.D.
University of Miami School of Medicine
Department of Physiology and Biophysics (R-430)
4045 RMSB
Miami, FL  33136
305-243-6769
2343 Tigertail Ave.