CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 1998

Sender:
From:
"Cork, Robert, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 15:04:24 -0600
At 03:25 PM 1/7/98 -0500, you wrote:

>We have a Kodak dye-sublimation printer in our department.  I
>use flatbed and 32mm scanners to digitize photographs and
>negatives.  I adjust these images in Photoshop and then
>print them on color film paper.
>
>As you know, the higher the number of pixels/inch in each
>image the larger the resulting file.  Unfortunately, larger
>files take longer to save, print and process in Photoshop.
>
>Because of this inconvenience, I do not want to make files
>any larger than necessary.  Assuming I don't change the size
>of the original print, what is the mimimal scanning resolution
>that will result in the sharpest possible picture, if the printer's output
>limit is 300 dpi?  And, if I want to make the final print, for example,
>twice as many square inches in size as the
>original, by how much should I increase the scanning
>resolution?
If you don't want to change the image size, scan at 300 dpi to get the
sharpest image.
If you want to make the image print twice as big as the original scan at 600
dpi and then change the size in photoshop with file size contrained (or
without resampling). The print resolution will then be 300 dpi the maximum
resolution of your printer.
This only works if you have a dye sub printer where dpi corresponds to
pixels/inch.
John
Dr. John Cork,
Calcium Imaging Facility
Department of Anatomy, LSUMC,
1901 Perdido St., New Orleans
LA 70112

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
tel: (504) 568 7059         FAX: (504) 568 4392