CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1998

Sender:
From:
"Robert J. Palmer Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:25:09 -0400
In fact, you will find quite a bit of application in those areas, mostly
for topographic studies (what else can you do with inanimate objects :) ;) )
Confocal has been used for many years for examining semi-conducter
manufacturing processes and in QC.  It has also been applied in the dental
arena to examine interfaces between natural materials (teeth) and
manufactured materials (resins, implants).  In that application,
investigators are often interested in penetration of the resin and are
doing imaging relatively deep into the material.  And, as one might expect
along similar lines, it has been used to examine prosthesis-bone
interactions.  I'm sure there are many other applications, but I'm one of
those BIO guys...
Rob Palmer
CEB/UT