CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1998

From:
Linda Fox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:42:15 -0500
Hello Lauran,
Good luck with your purchase, which ever scope you buy.  We have just
placed an order for the Zeiss 510, and we also had the field narrowed
down to Leica and Zeiss.  For the Zeiss, we liked the modularity of
the design, allowing one to unplug and upgrade each component
individually.  We also liked the 12 bit feature of the computer
system.  Both scopes were very competitivly priced.  Service was a
concern, but it is our understanding from similar queries that
service with all companies is not the greatest.  Both Leica and Zeiss
say that they are working hard to resolve this issue.  We felt that
the Zeiss was "state of the art" technology, being the newest system
available, but old enough that the first generation of "bugs" are
being worked out.  Resolution was slightly better with the Leica (we
did several standard tests on all the scopes we looked at), but the
Zeiss was right up there and we felt that it was very good.  The big
problem with the Leica was the 8 bit, we felt that this is now old
technology, and Leica would have to undergo a major retooling of the
entire system ($$$) to get to 12 bit.  We did not want to buy
something that was old before we set it up.  Another controversy that
you will encounter is the argument for a fixed pinhole vs. a variable
pinhole.  Each manufacturer can offer equally convincing stories as
to why their system is better in this regard.  There was no way for
us to know, with any level of certainty, which configuration is
optimal.  Delivery time, aprox 120 days for the Zeiss, is a draw
back, but that will depend on if your needs are immediate.  We were
hoping to have it up and running for July 1st.  Our confocal will be
for a multi user core facility and another researcher on campus has a
Zeiss 410 . We hope to get a discount on future bundeled service
contracts.  I hope that this information is helpful.  Let me know if
there is anything more that you need.

Linda M. Fox
Loyola University Medical School
Dept. of Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy
2160 S. First Ave.
Maywood, Illinois 60153
708-216-3395