CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1998

From:
"Treiman, Allan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:04:41 -0500
I have to speak up here. In addition to microscopy, I
also do planetary spectroscopy. A student of mine
is working on infrared reflectance spectra from Mariner
6 and 7, which flew by Mars in 1969. The original data was
lost in the early 70s; she discovered the original 7-track
tapes with the spectra and calibrations, has recovered most of
them, and is finding much more in those spectra than was ever
originally thought of. Granted, this is a unique case and a
unique data set. But I would not discard old data merely
because it was old.
  Allan Treiman
Lunar and Planetary Institute
3600 Bay Area Boulevard