CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1998

From:
Martin Wessendorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:04:33 -0500
Reece.Jeffrey wrote:

> I think using the words "virtually never" to describe the occurence of
> 12-bit confocal S/N is certainly appropriate if the manufacturers refuse
> to give users this option.

Seconded.

Given the existence of at least one excellent deconvolution package for
confocal images (Huygens2 from Scientific Volume Imaging; www.svi.nl)
which could offer even greater benefits from 12- or 16-bit data files, I
think that it would be appropriate for ALL confocal manufacturers to add
(or in some cases restore!) the ability to collect images at depths
greater than 8-bit.

--I have no commercial connection to SVI; I'm just a happy user.

Martin Wessendorf
--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Dept Cell Biology and Neuroanatomy