CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1998

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:34:59 EDT
From:
Dear Heather,

I learned my confocaling on that very instrument shortly after it was
installed.  Given how heavily used it was then, I'm sure there must be a few
experienced users who could help you out.

Fluorescently doped paper was the standard setup sample back then.  I
preferred to use freshly cut linen bond thesis paper which fluoresces reliably
without the stain.  Stick a piece to a slide with superglue, then douse it in
immersion oil or use it dry.  I have since become a fan of fluorescent beads.
Molecular Probes has some good alignment standards which I helped them
develop.  They excite with all common laser lines and clearly show loss of
colocalization when the system is misaligned.  For quantitation of
fluorescence signal, I prefer FCSC Quantum series of fluorescent beads, which
are what flow cytometrists use (hence Flow Cytometry Standards Corp.).  They
come in a range of intensities corresponding to a few thousand FITC molecules
right up into the millions.  I have ordered but not yet tried their PE
intensity series.

If you are the only person using the instrument, pick a pinhole setting and
don't change it.  If not, you will have trouble recreating scanning parameters
from a previous day's work.  PMT and black level dials have numbers on them,
so you could set them the same, then tweak the pinhole slider until a known
sample looks about the same.  This will be close, but not really rigorous
enough to call quantitation.  Another useful trick would be to view the image
in false color so that the level of saturation and black level cutoff is
clearly visible.

By the way, what dye are you using, and what does it stain for?

Good luck,

David Carter
oQQQQQ@