CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1998

Sender:
From:
Anthony G Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:37:41 -0500
I can contribue two techniques I know have worked well.

(1)  I built a Peltier - heated/cooled device with a think aluminum plate
that extended into the area of the objective, that had a calibrated
miniature thermopile inserted into a Sylgard embedment.  I could directly
read off the temp while doing experiments.  I could hold the temp to +/-
0.1 deg C manually; worked well for what I did.  Cost was mainly the
Peltier itself with a water jacket and a good power supply, total of
about $400 about 8 years ago.  I can describe in greater detail for you if
you like.

(2) A colleague at my previous institution merely built a housing around
the entire stage and condenser setup, used simple resistance heaters and
dryer ducting and heated the entire setup to 37 deg C routinely.  It was
very effective and I think cost hardly anything.
*       Dr. Anthony Moss                voice  (334)844-9257            *
*       131 Cary Hall                   fax    (334)844-4065            *
*       Zoology and Wildlife Science    email  [log in to unmask]  *
*       Auburn University                                               *
*       Auburn, AL 36849                                                *
*       USA                                                             *