CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1998

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 13:36:24 -0700
From:
"Mark N. Rand" <[log in to unmask]>
On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 00:05:30 -0400 [log in to unmask]
wrote:

>From:    "Reece.Jeffrey" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: live imaging options
>

>For nonconfocal, we have used MetaFluor and MetaMorph software by
>Universal Imaging and their software works very well.  You may already
know they
>have another product designed for GFP applications. However, I'm not
sure
>they can satisfy your requirements for speed.

Consistent with this advice, our local UI rep was careful to be
conservative regarding the acquisition speed of UI's software.

>Another is software and computer for video editing.
>My choice here would be an SGI O2 computer, because of its speed when
>handling video data.

For nonconfocal imaging I would also suggest looking at software from
Inovision Corporation (www.inovis.com). It is similar in both features
and price to Universal Imaging's, but operates on an SGI O2 platform
which provides features that are missing or deficient in PC-based
systems: true multitasking, 64-bit system architecture, enhanced speed,
and fully-integrated video editing. The O2 workstation is priced about
the same as a comparably-equipped PC. Inovision's software supports a
variety of slow-scan CCDs from Princeton, Photometrics, and Hamamatsu
(with binning, sub-array readout, and 12-bit resolution) as well as
conventional video, and has modules for GFP, cell tracking, digital
deconvolution, and ratio imaging. The speed capabilities are impressive;
according to Inovision you can bypass an OMDR and store digital images
directly to disk at video rates. I have not used this system, but all of
the half-dozen or so end-users I spoke with were satisfied or very happy
with it. I have no financial interest in Inovision, etc.; we're just in
the market and this one looks good.

Good luck.

Mark N. Rand, Ph.D.
U.W. Dept. Neurology, School of Medicine
1959 NE Pacific St., Box 356465
Seattle WA 98195-6465

<°){{{{><