CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 1998

Sender:
From:
"Montague, Donna C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:11:56 -0500
Felicity:

I have recently investigated various staining techniques for evaluating bone
histology using a Zeiss Axiovert CSLM. I have tried two conventional stains
and one modified stain we use for our applications. And have compared these
to immunofluorescent antibodies to individual bone cell markers. I can send
you by fax or snail mail those procedures if you like.

Briefly, the standard histology stain procedure [found in any histology
text] called H & E (Hematoxylin and Eosin) worked well due to the
autofluorescent nature of eosin. The second standard histology procedure is
a May-Grunwald Geimsa (using Jenner's stain and Geimsa stain, the procedure
is found in Armed Forces Institute of Pathology Manual by Lee Luna 3rd ed.
page 121- 122). These polychromatic stains contain several autofluorescent
dyes. These two stains will allow you to compare directly with DIC or
transmitted light microscopy.

For our purposes, investigation of bacterial adhesion in bone, we use a
modified Gram's stain procedure which we developed and published. The
crystal violet which stains gram positive bacteria is polychromatic and
autofluorescent. The secondary staining with Van Gieson assists dramatically
with morphology. I can email you examples of each taken on our CSLM off the
list (since the files are quite large.)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want our modified Gram stain protocol or
the pictures.

Regards,

Donna Montague
Research Assistant