CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 1998

Sender:
From:
Barbara Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:16:30 -0400
Hi!!!!

Glad to hear from you.

The second part of Julie's question threw me for a loop: did you put
something on the slide to keep the spacer from leaking or was capillary
action sufficient?  I couldn't remember (it's only been the better part of
a decade!).

How are things going for you?  What are you working on?

Ironically, I was in Raleigh earlier this year on business.  I think I knew
that you were at NC State at that time and had a fleeting thought of giving
you a call. As it was, we ended up "on assignment" from about 6:30AM until
about 9:30 or 10:00 each night.

Will you be at either Cell or Neuro? I understand that Neuro is becoming
quite a haven for digital imaging.

TTYS.
Barbara

At 05:37 PM 9/23/98 +0100, you wrote:
>barbara:  YES,I am listening. I am at NC State University (not Chapel
>Hill)... I still have those aluminum holders and use them when we have
>larger cells and are limited in distance between the condenser and
>objective lens.   They were made for me at the Marine Biological Laboratory
>at their machine shop and I would imagine they still have the template. We
>used to give one to every student in the course.   Call 508-548-3705 and
>ask for the machine shop.
>Or just call me for information.  Cheers, Nina
>>Pat,
>>
>>Nina Allen (Wade-Forest, now at NCU or NC State) made some great spacers
>>>from aluminum. I first saw them some years ago at her course at Woods
>>Hole.  They were cut about 1" x 2", with a channel in the middle for your
>>sample (essentially a squarish "U") and, as I remember, were used with the
>>large, rectangular coverslips
>>
>>Nina, if you are listening, please respond.
>>
>>Hope this is helpful,
>>Barbara Foster
>>Consortium President
>>Microscopy/Microscopy Education
>>Training solutions for improved productivity
>>
>>125 Paridon Street Suite 102
>>Springfield, MA 01118
>>PH: (413)746-6931  FX: (413)746-9311 email: [log in to unmask]
>>Visit our web site: <http://www.MME-Microscopy.com/education>
>>******************************************************
>>MME is America's first national consortium dedicated to
>>customized on-site training in all areas of
>>microscopy, sample preparation, and image analysis.
>>

>>At 11:29 AM 9/23/98 -0500, Carol Bayles wrote:
>>>Pat,
>>>I use a very simple method.  I break up coverslips and use them as spacers.
>>>They are very uniform and come in varying thicknesses.  You can always
>>>double them if necessary.  Just be careful not to cut yourself!
>>>
>>>Carol

>>>Carol Bayles 607-254-4860
>>>Microscopy and Imaging Facility         607-254-4847  fax
>>>BioResource Center                              [log in to unmask]
>>>160 Biotech Bldg
>>>Cornell University
>>>Ithaca NY 14850
>>>

>Nina Stromgren Allen
>Professor, Department of Botany
>Box 7612
>North Carolina State University
>Raleigh, NC 27695-7612
>Phone:  919-515-8382 (Office), 515-3525 (Lab), 515-2727 (Department
Secretary)