CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 1998

Sender:
From:
Dino Sharma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 17:38:41 -0800
Dear Dr. Ackerman,

I have read with interest your message below and hope I can offer some
explanation and assistance for your current dilemma.

Firstly, we are limited, both in terms of reproducibility and fineness of
stepping resolution by the way the Zeiss fine focus mechanism is designed.
Although elegant, the design is limited, I'm not sure how best to describe
it. In simple terms it's a sort of frictional clutch type mechanism
operating between the fine focus shaft and final drive mechanism.  However,
as this design relies on friction/pressure between the fine focus shaft and
a ball mechanism to deliver the final drive, slippage is inherent and hence
no guaranteed repeatability.

Because of the Zeiss mechanism design limitation, and feedback from
microscopists like you, we have developed a Z drive which attaches to the
coarse focus knob only, (the coarse knob, positively drives the nose piece
or stage depending on inverted or upright configuration  - therefore no
slippage).

We have designed our own 18:1 reduction mechanism which gives the Z drive a
stepping resolution of 50nm (0.05um).

Repeatability of the Z drive output is:
for moves </= 5.0um = 0.05um
for moves >5.0um = 1%

Incidentally, a 50nm (0.05um) resolution Z drive is also available on all other
currently supported microscopes.

Please contact your local Bio-Rad sale office, who can give you ordering/pricing
details of this new Z drive.  I hope the above information proves to be of help.

Best regards,

Dino Sharma
Confocal Product Manager
Bio-Rad Microscopy Division