CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 1998

Sender:
From:
Bill Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 08:49:19 +0100
Indocyanine Green (ICG) has been used most extensively in the field of
retinal angiography for fluorescence contrast imaging on fundus cameras. It
is a very deep red fluorescing probe, and provides better depth penetration
for retinal contrast enhancement during angiography.

One word of warning is that the appearance of ICG on the market and its
demonstrated utility for retinal imaging caused a number of the fundus
camera manufacturers to redesign the optical paths of their instruments,
because most glass lenses etc have infrared blocking coatings which
prevented visualisation of the dye. This may also prove to be the case on
optical microscopes as well, so it would be worthwhile running some
red-transparency tests on your microscopes before putting too much effort
into experimental trials. In principle, however, ICG should be a good dye
for patch clamping, tracing processes etc. It is available from Molecular
Probes. So far as I am aware, its use has not really been exploited for
cell biology applications.

BILL MASON