CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1999

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:31:17 +0200
7bit
From:
Hans van der Voort <[log in to unmask]>
Lutz Schaefer wrote:

> [log in to unmask] wrote:
> >
> >         O.k., is there a formula for determining the depth
> >         of an optical sectioning depth?
> >

> The FWHM (or whatever measure you desire) of the central axial dimension
> of your confocal PSF should give you the sectioning depth. Unfortunately
> there is no simple algebraic formulation for a system with a finite
> sized pinhole. The most accurate way to calculate a theoretical PSF is
> by the vector wave theory. In your CLSM you then would have to
<stuff deleted>
> This can be a quiet extensive in the calculations necessary. As you need
> only a one dimensional view along the optical axis, there may be
> simplifications, although the 2D convolution with the pinhole is still
> necessary.

(message from a commercial vendor who couldn't resist this one, ;-))

Actually, it isn't all that hard: I just clocked our electro-magnetic
diffraction confocal PSF generator at 2.1 sec, including the pinhole
convolution, 'typical working conditions', for a full 3D PSF.

Cheers, Hans

dr. Hans T.M. van der Voort                           ([log in to unmask])
Scientific Volume Imaging BV,               URL: http://www.svi.nl/
Alexanderlaan 14, 1213 XS Hilversum,                The Netherlands
tel: ++31-35-6859405, mobile: ++31-653-345445, fax: ++31-35-6837971