CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1999

From:
Donald O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:48:38 -0400
Hi All,

    We are trying to stain dead/dying cells in living zebrafish.
We would like to do this non-invasively, i.e. by simply incubating
the larval fish in the "dead-cell" stain.  We've tried propidium iodide
over a range of concentrations and for times from several hours
to overnight, all to no avail.  Presumably it can't diffuse into the
fish, although we know that some compounds are able to diffuse
into the fish.   I realize this is a bit esoteric, but any suggestions
would be appreciated.   I also know there are live-dead kits from
Molecular Probes, but before we spend hundreds of dollars, I
thought I might check first with the imaging community.  (We are
gently killing the cells with a low-intensity laser beam; we want
to confirm cell death before doing extensive behavioral testing).

Thanks,
Don

Donald M. O'Malley, Ph.D.
Department of Biology