CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1999

From:
"G. Macdonald" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:04:49 -0700
NIH Image and Object Image can readily open bio-rad files, as well as
create rotational projections from them.  Object Image includes a useful
3D reslicing tool and the ability to measure objects through a stack.
The 'Stacks Macro' that comes with Image, includes a command
to import Bio-rad files without requiring you to enter dimensions or
numbr of images in the stack. The Confocal-Macros file in the /User-Macros
folder on the NIH Image ftp site has an extensive set of macros for
working with confocal stacks.  The Scion port is useful, but buggy.

There are several freeware, or relatively inexpensive, programs for Mac,
PC and Unix to do true volumetric rendering.  We use VoxBlast, by Vaytek,
www.vaytek.com, about US$3,000.

Regards,
Glen

Glen MacDonald
   Research Scientist
Hearing Research Laboratories of the
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 35-7923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195-7923
(206) 616-4156