CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1999

From:
Anthony Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:04:07 -0500
I use ZIPs routinely on a number of drives and they are (so far!) as
reliable as I can imagine....zero failures in about 4 years.  I too have
a 1GB Jaz; I rarely use it but have had no problems.  I have't used it
much be cause the media is a bit pricy, but it is very fast and seems
very good.  I hope the problems reported with it are rare; I have some
pretty important stuff on my two Jaz discs!  I too am moving to burnable
(write-once) CD.  Seems plenty safe to me.  At least until I stick them
in a microwave oven!

No commercial interest in anything...ain't got no dough!

"D, Neuberger" wrote:

> I guess I have to chime in on this one.  I have three Jaz drives and I use
> them constantly; I carry my Jaz disks loose in my briefcase.  Never had a
> problem with either the drive or the disks over the past 3-4 years.  Also
> have a Zip drive - ditto; it's the type that inserts into the drive bay of
> my notebook.  I use them to back up data and image files, i.e. small and
> large files like 150MB AVI high speed video files.  Of course, I also back
> everything up to CDs for archiving.
>
> Damian
>
> >>I second Jeff Reece's comments regarding the instability of JAZ drives and
> >>their disks.  We used our 3 drives on 3 separate platforms (Windows
> >>95, SGI and
> >>Mac OS 8.0) and after about 9 months, the problems started
> >>happening.  Once the
> >>large 2GB disks begin to fill up, the directories seem to have problems
> >>handling all the files and subdirectories.  We've had one drive replaced by
> >>Iomega, but have since corrupted another disk.  CD-RW are definitely more
> >>stable. I'm curious if anyone else has had similar problems with the JAZ.
> >>Conversely, our ZIPs seem to be chugging along just fine.
> >>

> >>Linda Mayernik, M.S.
> >>Confocal Imaging Core Facility
> >>Wayne State University School of Medicine
> >>Detroit, MI
> >

> >Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.
> >Material and Life Science Divisions M/S 6-2100
> >Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
> >1 Cyclotron Rd.
> >Berkeley, CA.
> >94720