CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

From:
James Beacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:20:45 -0000

the real costs associated with developing, marketing and building product
which HAS to perform as described.  Regarding the source of these costs, the
information below goes some way to explain what goes into a productionised
LED source.

Some products have a single interchangeable LED wavelength.  CoolLED uses
three interchangeable LED wavelengths mounted in its precisExcite LED
fluorescence source.  These LEDs are in the form of LED Array Modules (LAMs)
- which can be up to 96 LEDs built on a single module.  We package these
LEDs ourselves in order to achieve optimum thermal control and coupling to
the light-guide.  The cost of the bare LED semiconductor material is
trivial.  The cost of manufacture is high, requiring expensive
high-tolerance capital equipment and quality control procedures.  We
guarantee that these LEDs will last for over 10,000 hours / 3 years of
actual use - although we expect they will last indefinitely for many users,
as they only need to be switched on for the amount of time you would have
the shutter open using a bulb system.

To guarantee this lifetime, we have to build and test extensively before we
know that we have a stable high-power LED array.  In addition, we use active
temperature control (Peltier) to ensure that the LEDs are always operating
within their defined parameters.  LEDs are considered "efficient" but still
produce at least 70% heat so cooling is essential.  When the LAMs are
interchanged, the system has been designed to recognise, through software on
the LAM, which wavelength has been installed and reset the optimal operating
parameters in the main unit.

So, there are design costs, material costs, assembly costs, manufacturing
equipment costs, testing costs, engineering personnel costs and, yes,
inevitably the cost of a few "suits".  If you measure the value the product
provides to your research, by making available a stable, fast-switching,
repeatable light-source with no bulbs to replace and align every few weeks
or months, you can decide if it is worthwhile for you.

JIM Beacher

CoolLED/ precisExcite