CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2005

From:
"Mcnamara, George" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:16:57 -0700

Hi Carol,

A  question from soneone who ran a Leica SP1 for five years:

Is the silicon surface sending only reflection?

   That is, if you get rid of the cells, culuture media, etc, and do a
spectral scan from say 450 to 650 nm with 5 nm bandpass and 5 nm step size,
do you just see reflections at the laser wavelength(s), i.e. 488 and 568?
This should be done after seeting the detector offset to be above zero (at
zero laser power) and gain at less than saturation when the detection band
is centered on 488 nm.

  If that spectral scan works (reflections only at laser line or lines), you
can repeat with more experiment components.

  FYI - if you have a mirror slide, the reflections from it had better be
only at the laser lines. If you get the same problem with a mirror slide as
you described with your sample, I'd suspect the instrument settings (or the
instrument) being messed up.

George
p.s. if you do not have a reflection slide, you can try to get the Leica
service engineer to come over with their's, or buy one for a few dollars at
http://www.nanofilm.com <http://www.nanofilm.com>  ... if you have any
interference filters, any that reflect at the riight wavelength will get the
job done.

George McNamara, Ph.D.
Support Scientist
CITI
City of Hope National Medical Center
1500 E Duarte Rd
Duarte, CA 91010
626-359-8111x60035 voice

George McNamara, Ph.D.
Consultant
Congressman Julian Dixon Image Core
The Saban Research Institute of Childrens Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Blvd., MS 133, SRT 1016
Los Angeles, CA 90027
323-669-2548 voice