CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1998

From:
"Reece.Jeffrey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:31:27 -0400
>>Isn't the LSM 510 from Zeiss is 12 bit system?  What about the
two-photo machines?

The Zeiss 510 is 12-bit.  The Olympus Fluoview is 12-bit.  I expect
Leica to deliver on its promise of a 12-bit system in the next few
months.   As far as I know everyone else who uses PMT detection is
currently 8 bit.

>>...there is no
>>reason to use more that 256 levels to record a signal that is made of
much
>>less than 256 photons.  As "most" fluorescence confocal images consist
of
>>signals that represent the detection of 10-20 photons in their
brightest
>>pixels, 8-bits should be plenty. However, it might make sense to
perform
>>any averaging or summing operations in 12- or 16-bit.

Sometimes slow scan speeds are more desirable than summing or averaging,
in which case the digitizer would need to be more than 8 bits to produce
true 12 bit images.

I would like to hear from more people who are using 12- (or 16-bit)
confocals, PMT- or CCD-based.  Initial questions:

1)  Does having 12 bits allow you to get more information from a scanned
image?  If so, how often is it preferred over 8 bit collection, and what
application are you using it for?

2)  Does using 12 bit images create compatibility problems with 3rd
party software?  If so, what are they, and what has (or hasn't) worked
to solve those problems?

Jeff Reece
Biomedical Engineer
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)
Confocal Microscopy Center
P.O. Box 12233, MD F2-02
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709
Ph: (919) 541-0311