CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2005

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:42:02 -0800

Hi Caroline,

Your images at
http://homepage.mac.com/etlab/photos-liver/PhotoAlbum4.html look good
(publishable ... well, no need to publish the GFP acetone fixed, or
RFP/nbf fixed, not too excited by the RPF/nbf+acetone).

I'd still with frozen specimens or fresh tissue, if possible. The
RFP/NBF fixed might be recovered by immunofluorescence with an
anti-DsRed antibody (Cy3 or if you can find it on hand, Cy3B
secondary antibody, or to change color a bit, Alexa Fluor 647
secondary antibody). the people I work(ed) with at CHLA routinely
detected EGFP on fixed specimens by immunofluorescence.

Your observation that your direct imaging (on your lab widefield
scope?) had RFP much better than the GFP, and opposite results on the
confocal, is probably due to:
* having an ideal RFP filter set on your scope, and relatively
mediocre filter set for GFP -- perhaps you are using an old
fluorescein set ... might be time to check if the filters are still
good (exciter gets solarized over time, fingerprints can magically
appear on any of the surfaces).
* the confocal is working well with EGFP because it has a 488 nm
laser - I'm guessing you have a low power HeNe 543 nm laser for the
RFP or are trying to excite RFP with 488 nm? ... if you are using
simultaneous scanning for both, i.e. through a triple 488/543/633
filter, I suggest sequential scanning with optimal dichroics. If a
confocal facility person is running the instrument, I suggest sitting
with then and finding the optimal setting for RFP by using a specimen
that you've seen worked well on your scope.

Best wishes,

George