CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2011

From:
Markus Rehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:57:11 +0100

Hi Leonico (and Paul for the Hoechst bit)

- You can stain the nuclear envelope using FP-tagged lamins
- FP labelled histone was already suggested
- From my experience from many moons ago: You can use Hoechst (or other dyes - preferably non-intercalating ones), but you will need to dilute down as far as possible. The manufacturer will suggest concentrations that give you insanely high fluorescence. The cells will die even without the imaging procedure within 24 hr.
Consider and try this: The cells will take up dye until binding is saturated. To obtain a concentration suitable for long term imaging, aim for submaximal staining. Do the following: Determine the number of cells per dish/well as well as the volume of culturing medium, and from this calculate the amount of dye per cell when using the concentration suggested by the manufacturer (e.g. in ug or picograms PER CELL - DO NOT USE ug/ml OR uM AS UNITS). Do serial dilutions of the dye by a factor of ten, down to about 1:100,000 and keep all your culture dishes in the incubator (no imaging yet). Check your cells after 12h, 24h, 36h, 48h for apparent death using a std tissue culture microscope. For conditions at which the cells don't die, check whether the fluorescence signal is still strong enough for imaging. Go for the lowest concentration possible. You usually would end up with less than 1 pg/cell. With this you should be able to capture images for a long time without killing the cells (I did 3 min temp resolution w/o problems). At such low dye concentration it may take up to 1-2 h for the dye to bind and the stain to fully materialise. In addition, you can reduce phototoxicity by limiting the photon flux during excitation (i.e. longer exposure time with more neutral density filters is less damaging than short exposure times with high excitation intensities). Also, if possible, you can try to red-shift your excitation and see whether you still get enough signal.

Good luck.

Markus

Dr. rer. nat. Markus Rehm
Biomedical Research Lecturer
Dept. of Physiology & Medical Physics
& Centre for Human Proteomics and Medical Systems Biology
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
RCSI York House
York Street
Dublin 2