CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2011

From:
Tim Feinstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:13:52 -0500

Hi Kees,

FLIM data reports the change in the amount of donor energy transferred to the acceptor either per cell or per pixel.   One source of your problem could be that energy transfer always convolves the number of interacting proteins with the distance and alignment between donor and acceptor, both of which can change in a single experiment.   Most FRET studies try to simplify this question by assuming away the complexity - either dimers form of they do not (as in your colleague's argument), the complex is fixed and you measure its conformational change (e.g., most modern biosensors) or no binding is assumed and you are simply measuring the concentration of the two fluorophores (e.g., similar to fluorescence dequenching in liposome fusion).  You are asking whether the complexes can decrease in number while the remaining complexes change in conformation to bring the fluorophores much closer together.  This is possible in theory, but it would mean that the initial FRET had to be quite low and the loss of dimerization would have to be modest.  That kind of question is best tested using an independent measure of dimerization - you could try a co-IP, or else immobilize one binding partner with an antibody or cytoskeleton cross-linking domain and measure the mobility of the other using FRAP.

Now I am confused by your description of BIFC data.  Bimolecular complementation is an irreversible reaction.  By 'goes down' do you mean that the rate of BIFC complex formation decreases, or do you really see a decrease in BIFC fluorescence when you add the third binding partner?  I would be concerned if the second case was true.

cheers,

TF

Timothy Feinstein, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow
Laboratory for GPCR Biology
Dept. of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology
University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine
BST W1301, 200 Lothrop St.
Pittsburgh, PA  15261