CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2003

Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:44:09 +1000

Thanks for explaining this.  As a measure of bleached area it
is probably the only thing you can do but as a measure of the
actual spot size it has some limitations, most obviously that
you are measuring the spot with the same beam that created it,
so your final apparent size will be the convolution of the
spot with its bleached patch, and thus larger than the actual
spot.

Other points that come to mind:
How thin is the film and how accurate the focus?  Simple
geometry says that quite apart from diffraction effects the
beam will spread out to 242nm radius (484nm diam) at 100nm
>from focus (tan 67.5 = 2.42).  So a very small defocus (or
film thickness) will broaden the spot a lot.  If your film is
as thick as 1µm the spot will become huge.

Could there be any scattering of the beam while it is parked?
Again this would broaden the bleached area and few media are
completely free of scattering.

Chemical effects could spread the bleaching reaction but I
hope that wouldn't extend more than single-figure nanometres
(otherwise a lot of FRAP experiments would be in trouble).

                                        Guy

 Guy,