CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2013

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2013 07:39:28 -0700

Following on from what others have said, it probably depends on how MetaMorph is reading the camera out (and what it is doing to the data afterwards - e.g. converting to photon counts etc ...). http://www.andor.com/learning-academy/dual-amplifier-dynamic-range-scmos-dynamic-range has some interesting info on how the Neo get's it's large dynamic range. Notable on that website is the following sentence "Due to the splicing together of the low and high gains, the transition region between them is not seamless but has been optimised as far as possible." To me this seems to suggest that if you're going to do deconvolution on the data (or any other form of quantitative data analysis), you might want to choose either the high or the low gain 11 bit mode, and live with the reduced dynamic range. It's quite possible that the MetaMorph engineers have made this choice when writing their camera code (It's certainly the safe default choice as it'll be sure not to
 generate artefacts whereas the combined mode might - knowing for sure would require a lot of testing, which might well be application specific).

best wishes,
David