CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2013

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:30:44 -0500

Hi Dmitry,

I am unaware of any publications on excitation-emission matrix
spectroscopy ("3D landscape") of mCherry. Vitaly and others may want to
comment on any odd behaviors of mCherry. It has cousins, rsCherry and
rsCherryRev for example, that do interesting things. There is also the
issue that measurements in cells and tissues can differ from pure protein.

Diagnosing peak shift using 561 vs 594 excitation ... spectral scans of:
1. test with solution of pure mCherry, rather than cells/tissue.
2. excite (pure solution) with 514 nm - should be the same as 561 nm
excitation, whether using identical spectral range as with 561, or
starting at shorter wavelength (i.e. at 525 nm).
3. They have an MP laser - in fact, MP-OPO, so Daniela could use
multiple MP(OPO) wavelengths and spectral emission scanning.
4. Buy a PARISS (www.lightforminc.com) with excitation confocal slit and
appropriate excitation options (including excitation slit), or go visit
Keith Lidke to use his clone
http://www.systemscenters.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/nm-ncbs-aug-8-11-lidke.pdf

and test on this imaging spectrometer.

Also: never rely on just the peak. The area under the curve of a
fluorescence spectrum carries a lot more information.

Bob Zucker & Robert Lief published a couple of papers showing various
artifacts with early spectral confocal microscopes. When they used the
latter's MIDL calibrated lamp, most (all?) Leica SP1's had an
interesting behavior where the spectra differed depending on start
wavelength (i.e. 500 vs 501, vs 502 vs 503 vs 504 nm).

George
p.s. bonus: some confocal microscopes adjust the pinhole size based on
(excitation) wavelength. For example, LSM710 if the user clicks "1 Airy"
button after switching the laser line selected. The pinhole is part of
the emission path, so this affects the spectral resolution (probably not
enough for most LSM users to notice if going from 561 to 594 nm). More
generally, any manuscript that uses a spectral confocal microscope and
fails to state pinhole size is a waste of effort. Easy test anyone with
a spectral confocal microscope can perform: compare spectra at pinhole 1
vs wide open.