CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2015

From:
Zdenek Svindrych <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:53:47 +0100

Hi Max,
The HyDs are fast photon counting detectors. If you use them in "Photon
Counting" mode, your histogram will be perfectly smooth with no missing
values. But in "Standard" mode the photon counts are multiplied by some
constant (e.g. about 100x at 12-bit, 400Hz, 100% "gain") so they appear
brighter. Then your histogram has large gaps (a hundred of zero values
between two big numbers in your histogram, assuming bin width is 1). You may
also note that the signal saturates (intensity value of 4095 for 12-bit
range) at about 40 photons per pixel (at the above conditions). That's why
the "Photon Counting" images are so dim... The reason behind that high
multiplication factor is to ensure the detectors' behavior is linear (Leica
claims the detectors are linear up to 6*10^7 photons/s and in "Standard"
mode up to 3*10^8 photons/s - there is be some correction, although I haven'
t been able to seen it in the histograms of my images)...

In normal PMTs (in "analog integrating" mode), the sharp peaks corresponding
to 1 photon/pixel, 2 photons/pixel, etc., are smeared by multiplication
noise, amplifier noise and slow amplifier response so you cannot distinguish
them.

I can't see any reason why HyD images should be less suitable for
colocalization analysis.

Best, zdenek