CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2015

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2015 07:41:31 -0500

Hi again Gabor,

Yes, the CompuCyte laser scanning cytometer (LSC) and iCys and iCyte
imaging scanning cytometers, now part of ThorLabs,
https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=7473
https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=7676

routinely acquired transmitted light data through the condenser, and in
the case of the "i" instruments, produced an image.

The Huron Digital Patyhology (previously Huron Technologies, and
previous to that Biomedical Photometrics Inc) TissueScope product line
is typically both brightfield and confocal fluorescence. Many of the
TissueScope products can use a large stage enabling scanning an entire
adult human brain slice.
http://www.hurondigitalpathology.com/solutions/tissuescope-cf/

Several research groups have replaced the condenser lens (which is often
as cheap a lens as the big four can get away with) with an objective
lens. I first saw this in the mid-1980s by David Soll and his group at
University of Iowa - to enable tracking live cell morphology details in
higher time resolution by imaging both up and down.

More recently, 4pi, 4pi-STED, and iPALM are dual objective lenses facing
each other. Some SPIM/DSLM systems also have face-to-face lenses, along
with a third, and (if I recall correctly) in some configurations fourth,
perpendicular.

Enjoy,

George

--