CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2014

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2014 17:50:00 +0800

Just to follow on with what Mark said, if all you want is to measure
distortion, you don't even need a reflection image of your grid. Just
use a transmission detector and, if you don't have one (assuming
inverted optics), a PIN diode sitting on the top of the slide should
do nicely, as TPE usually has a massive (mW) beam.

JP

>To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
>http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
>*****
>
>Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to record the reflection mode
>image in our microscope, as the NIR light will not pass through the
>dichroic, and even if we changed out the dichroic for a beam splitter,
>out PMTs are not sensitive to NIR light.
>
>Translating a bead though is a very interesting idea.  We use a high
>precision thorlabs MLS stage.  I will double check the repeatability,
>but in theory I could program it to perform an extremely high
>resolution distortion measurement.  Of course, getting a single bead
>onto a coverslip (or else programming software to automatically
>identify the same bead across hundreds of frames) will be somewhat
>tricky.
>
>Its a shame that getting targets for multiphoton is so difficult.
>Ideal I suppose would be something etched in glass so that I could
>flow my own fluorophore through it.  I will have to look around and
>see if I can get a lithography facility to make something like that.
>
>Thanks,
>Mike
>
>On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 3:19 AM, Mark Cannell
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>  *****
>>  To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
>>  http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>>  Post images on http://www.imgur.com and include the link in your posting.
>>  *****
>>
>>  Thinking about this a bit more, I realised that your existing grid
>>is perfectly suitable as you don't need 2P excitation to measure
>>field distortion at the wavelength you are using, Just turn the
>>power down a lot and record a reflection image,
>>
>>  Cheers Mark

>  >>>

>>  Mark  B. Cannell Ph.D. FRSNZ
>>  Professor of Cardiac Cell Biology
>>  School of Physiology &  Pharmacology
>>  Medical Sciences Building
>>  University of Bristol
>>  Bristol
>>  BS8 1TD UK

Prof. James  Pawley, Shangri La Hotel, Harbin,
email <[log in to unmask]>,   China Cell phone  15636810175