CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2004

From:
Nina Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:21:50 -0500

I teach several courses on light microscopy at North Carolina State
University.  I teach a 2 credit confocal microscope course.  It covers
basics of microscopy and fluorescence and then confocal methods.  It is
hands on.

I teach a video microscopy 4 credit course . We have a laboratory with 12
decent microscopes with computers and cameras for image capture.  We also
have dissecting microscopes and two Leica research microscopes with
micropublisher cameras.  Also several image analysis systems.  Students also
use equipment in the Imaging Facility as they become more advanced.  They
all do a project.  They all learn to do digital movies and still imaging.
They image in all modes of microscopy with a variety of cameras and
microscopes...Zeiss, Nikon and Leica are all there.
I cover microscopy as seen in the following listing:
Subjects to be covered in lecture and laboratory:

Introduction
Light, refractive index, absorption, reflection, refraction, diffraction
Geometrical Optics
Microscope Alignment. Lenses, Components
Image and Illuminating Light Paths.  Condenser and Field Diaphragm actions.
Koehler illumination. Conjugate planes
Contrast generation.
Abbe¹s theory. Diffraction
Phase Contrast
Polarized Light. Birefringence.  Polarization Microscopy
Differential Interference Contrast (Nomarski) Microscopy
Interference Reflection and Single Sideband Microscopy
Hoffman Modulation Microscopy
High Resolution Video Microscopy
Polarization Modulation DIC (PM DIC)
Fluorescence Microscopy
Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy
Multi Photon Microscopy
Deconvolution
Near Field Scanning Microscopy
Other Methods of Microscopy
Archiving and Documentation
Analogue and Digital Imaging
Image Analysis and Quantification
Cameras
Recording Devices
Photography
History of Microscopy

On 1/15/04 2:07 PM, "Scott Snyder" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
> I am trying to find out just how many courses covering hands on high
> throughput microscopy are available to students as part of their coursework.
> Does anyone know of one of these, where and when it is held? I know these are
> pretty rare, I just want to find out how rare.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> D. Scott Snyder, Ph.D.
> Lab Manager, Integrated Microscopy Core
> Baylor College of Medicine
> (713) 798-4952

Nina Stromgren Allen
Professor of Botany
Director, Cellular and Molecular Imaging Facility
Department of Botany
Box 7612
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7612