CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2011

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:42:20 -0500

Christophe, it's a good question. I'm not sure why there are so few "notch dichroic" filters, but I imagine it is because the filter companies don't get a lot of requests for optics like that. Think about it, the dichroics are usually intended to pass broadband light (usually fluorescence) to a detector, and the idea is that you would have also used an exciter and emission filter (positioned normal to the direction of light) to pass and block the laser light respectively.

Dichroic mirrors are used in laser engines to combine laser beams into one light path, but long pass and short pass mirrors can be used in succession if your arrange your lasers in increasing or decreasing wavelengths, so you don't need a notch filter here either.

Having said that, you can use a notch filter intended for normal incidence of light at some non-zero incident angle, but the position of the notch band with shift up or down the spectrum depending on how you turn it, and the transmission efficiency will lower. There are some newer filters that actually are intended for variable incident angles of light, though. For example, you could use a filter like this from Semrock (no commercial interest):

http://www.semrock.com/FilterDetails.aspx?id=TBP02-440/16-25x36

I think Chroma and Omega Optical (no commercial interest) might also make something similar. Turn this filter about 45 or 50 degrees, and arrange your light sources such that the arc lamp reflects off the mirror (instead of transmitting) and position your laser so that it transmits straight through. I think this would do what you want it to do.

John Oreopoulos
Research Assistant
Spectral Applied Research
Richmond Hill, Ontario