CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2014

From:
Oliver Biehlmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2014 08:32:31 +0000

Dear Paul,

Thanks that is a very helpful list.

> 1. I would try to dump the heat generated from your argon lasers directly to some other management system located outside the microscope room. This will reduced the noise and capacity required by any air conditioning system for just keeping the room temperature stable.
We do this in our actual facility rooms and we plan to have a direct exhaust/dump connected to systems that generate a lot of heat such as argon lasers, OMX-system, MP,…

> 2. Make sure you specify to the planners what temperature stability is required from your microscopes. (+/- 1 degree C ?)
I listed 23°C +/- 1° in bold basically on every sheet where I could put it. I try to get this binding for the planners. If we do not reach those specs they will have to adapt to a better version.

> 3. Make sure your air conditioning control is capable of running 24/7, especially if you are planning to do longer term time-lapse imaging.
That will be the case and I already asked for mobile/wireless temperature sensors for precise regulation.

> 4. Avoid air drafts directly onto your microscopes. Cool air inlet at ceiling height or warm air entering at floor height can cause considerable problems.
That’s why I am in favour of a diffusor based solution because then the air should be nicely distributed.

> 5. Specify humidity control, especially if using an IR multiphoton laser.
Good point. So far I did not include that to the part in BOLD letters. What would you recommend as humidity max.? 60%?

> 6. If you can, filter all air entering the room. This will help keep dust levels to a minimum.
Another point I will have to clarify...

> 7. Also calculate heat generation from humans that are likely to be in the room at any one time. This can be significant.
That is why I want an overhead in terms of cooling power. Also, it is often better to run higher power cooling systems at a constant low level than switching them on and off al the time. The latter generates terrible temp. oscillations, noise and cold air falling down.

> 8. Avoid conditioning systems that switch on and off to control temperature - inverter systems will cause less temperature fluctuation problems.
>
> Be fussy! Specify better control than you might really need, because you rarely get what you ask for. And it will make a difference down the track.

Totally agree!

Thanks again,
Oliver

Oliver Biehlmaier, PhD | Head of Imaging Core Facility  | Biozentrum, University of Basel | Klingelbergstrasse 50/70 | CH-4056 Basel
Phone: +41 61 267 20 73 | Email: [log in to unmask] | www.biozentrum.unibas.ch | www.microscopynetwork.unibas.ch