CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2000

From:
Ian Gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:35:58 +1030
Hello Guy et al

We've just got a Hamamatsu ORCA C4742-95 for high resolution
fluorescence imaging of muliple labelled fixed tissues. It is based on a
Sony interline transfer chip 1280x1024 and is digitised at 12bit with
cooling to about 5C. it come with a stadard C-mount, although other
options are available. We control it using simple and easy to use
plugins for IPLab Spectrum (Scanalytics). The image quality is
outstanding - it has allowed us to get excellent images of
triple-immunolabelled preparations using a standard 4x objective.
Although the chip has maximum sensitivity for green wavelengths (an
advantage for us since we use very narrow band filters to prevent bleed
through from things like DiI and Cy3), it works really well both for
blue and far red (Cy5) fluorescence. I don't know what the lux
sensitivity is, but we can easily image everything you'd ever want to
see in completely unlablled tissue!

Of course all this is not cheap (about $A30k) - but the quality and ease
of use is all there...

hope that helps

IAN

--