CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2008

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 14:26:45 -0400

An even better reference - for adherent cells - is the confocal mode
reflection of the coverglass (or slide, if the cells are on that
side). Coverglass is brightest when in focus. With a 63x/1.4 NA lens,
488 nm excitation, optical slice thickness is ~0.7 um. As a bonus,
you for free the interference reflection contrast of the
cell-substratum adhesion (note to software manufacturers or graduate
students who need an open source software project: Sackmann has
published absolute distance measurements by dual wavelength IRM, see
for example PubMed 14995485, but their software may not be available
- would be nice to add this calculation to, say, ImageJ, Zeis LSM and
Leica confocal software).

Speaking of Barbara's statement that DIC has shallowest depth of
field, the only location in Z where the IRM image goes to its minimum
is when an object is effectively at 'zero distance' from the
coverglass, in cells these are focal adhesion sites or where
filopodia touch the glass. The literature suggests this 'zero
distance' is <5 nm, so this is much thinner than DIC. In the more
general case (no object dependency), TIRF is likely to have a thinner
depth of field than DIC. An exception with TIRF is that if an object
has high refractive index at the interface, the waves/rays/photons
can escape into the second medium (ex. at focal adhesions).

In the context of this thread, using DIC to focus is good if the user
is trying to image, say, "nucleus", but this is unlikely to result in
great reproducibility in acquiring single plane images. With the
coverglass reflection method, it is easy to focus consistently on the
coverglass, and have the focus motor acquire at that location and at,
for example, +2 um.

George