CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2015

From:
yuansheng sun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2015 14:45:43 -0600

Dear Sylvie,

I just follow up with a few comments, embedded below.  Thanks.

Sheng

> 1- Then I have a question to the list regarding this issue: Is unmixing an
> appropriate technique for experiments where one wants to extract
> quantitative intensity information from the image? Does anyone have any
> experience with this?

I think so.  When I worked for Peri, we published a few papers using
spectral FRET, including a 3-color FRET one.  I can send you the papers if
you are interested.  I also know quite a few other people use spectral
imaging and unmixing for steady-state and time-resolved (FLIM) FRET.

> In spectral unmixing, an algorithm is applied post acquisition to the
> image to extract the spectrum of each fluorophore from the complex spectrum
> collected by the detector. I think that the dimmer the signal, the lower
> the signal to noise ratio and so the higher the risk of errors by the
> algorithm. So I would be very cautious with calculating FRET efficiency (ie
> applying a second algorithm) from unmixed images.
>
> If your signal is very bright in both fluorophores (assuming you are not
> using biosensors), you can acquire reference spectra that are quite
> reliable. Then it is worth trying to unmix then calculate the FRET image
> but you will need to scrutinize your results for bias in the FRET
> efficiency in the dim vs bright areas.

You are right - the SNR is a fundamental issue to any quantitative
measurement.  The PFRET addresses this issue carefully and calculates the
bleedthrough percentages based on the intensity levels.

> 2- Concerning the autofluorescence, I assume you have checked that it is
> really autofluorescence (ie you can see it in the unstained tissue). In
> that case it might be worth trying to apply Sudan Black before imaging, if,
> of course it is fixed tissue you are imaging.
> If instead it is 'unwanted' fluorescence ('sticky' antibody), spectral
> unmixing will not help since the 'autofluorescence' will have the same
> spectrum as your signal. Increase the stringency of your labelling instead.
>
> All this applies only if you are not the unlucky one who wants to image
> non biosensor FRET is a live tissue giving strong autofluorescence.
> In that case I would turn to FLIM.

Thank you for mentioning FLIM.  I think it is a very good technique for
FRET.