CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2009

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:28:38 +0100
At 23:02 25.03.2009, you wrote:
>Hi Again List,
>
>Yesterday we tried some KY and some ultrasound
>gel (non-blue version) with great success.
>Mangaged to image lymphatic vessels in the mouse
>tail without any real problems (other than
>geting the mouse where wewanted it). The KY was
>a bit to runny and didn't stay on the sample for
>very long. The ultrasound gel worked really
>well, though the image was a bit fuzzy. I am
>thinking this is probably due to bubbles in the
>gel. For those that have used ultrasound gel
>have you tried degassing it to get rid of small bubbles?

Cam,

glad to hear it works for you! I did it this way:
20 ml water in 50 ml plastic tube, add 5 ml
U-Gel, Vortex rigorously, and then either let it
stand over night or centrifuge for 5 min in the
cell culture centrifuge. In the centrifuge, I got
rid of all bubles (introduced during vortexing)
in <5min. They didn't reappear afterwards.

I saw a very noticeable difference in optical
quality comparing U-Gel itself with a 1:5
dilution in water, which might be considered "fuzzy".

Steffen

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Walter-Brendel-Zentrum für experimentelle Medizin (WBex)
Head of light microscopy

Mail room (for letters etc.):
Marchioninistr. 15, D-81377 München

Building location and address for courier, parcel services etc:
Marchioninistr. 27, D-81377 München (Großhadern)

Phone: +49/89/2180-76509
Fax-to-email:   +49/89/2180-9976509