CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2012

From:
Tim Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:57:14 -0500

Esteban,

We have experience in using NVIDIA Cuda cards in software development
projects in other areas, like computed tomography.  At least in our case,
for our projects, you HAVE to use NVIDIA because they are the only ones that
are CUDA compatible.  CUDA is the language used to program the cards that
gives them the "parallel processing" capability.  At least in our case, for
our projects, we automatically detect if the NVIDIA card is there and if it
is CUDA compatible.  Then, if so, we execute the algorithms on the cards
rather than the CPU.  If any other card is there, besides and NVIDIA CUDA
card, then we execute the algorithms on the slower CPU.  I can't speak for
the Media Cybernetics product, but I would guess (not really knowing) that
they must do soething along those lines.  If so, you would only get the
speed advantage with an NVIDIA CUDA compatible card.  Other cards, like ATI
Radeon, have their own languages they use fore speeding up graphics which
are not CUDA.  That's why they don't work for CUDA programs.

I am not working for Media Cybernetics, and  I do not know if this would be
their official answer from their support group.  I am guessing what the
answer would be based on our experience using CUDA and NVIDIA cards in other
projects.

Tim Holmes, D.Sc.
CEO
Lickenbrock Technologies, LLC