CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:10:52 -0400

Hi,
    The core for confocal is: the excitation source focal spot and the
detection focal spot matches each other via the target focal spot. Then,
if you put sample onto the target spot, the detector detects the energy
only from this spot and rejects adjacent.
    So the key for excitation is to make a spot. A laser, is an ideal
source to do that. On the other hand, any pinhole (or a pinhole array)
can be a point source. Of course, you have to match the excitation
pinhole(s) to the detection pinhole(s) via the target pinhole images.
    In the case of Olympus Spinning disk, it has an epi-illumination so
the excitation and detection uses the same pinholes and they line up
together automatically.
    Wish this helps!
Peng

--