CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2000

From:
Mario Moronne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 12:38:47 -0700
Dear Mark and other Zeiss LSM410 folk,

I mostly have to agree with Lutz. Nobody that sells proprietary
software should be expected to provide source code. I don't know the
particulars in this instance, but it would be typical for a company
like Zeiss to contract with a software company (or programmer) that
actually creates the code, i.e., Zeiss may not even own the source
code. Second, is it possible that the coding was done in assembler?
If so, the simple recompiling-linking option may not be possible.
(Perhaps you know already know where this stands)

There are other possible pitfalls including introducing errors that
affect the operation of the entire system. That's why software
companies have elaborate protocols for product development including
generating a set of requirements, coding, and, very importantly,
testing. It is possible that with the source code you could do what
you say, but I would not make that assumption and the risk of
creating errors is real and compiler-linker dependent.

Given the above, I would still expect that a respectable company that
stands by its products, which sell for 200k and up, should be able to
provide a simple upgrade path as software and computer hardware
become obsolete. In this day and age, I would never buy a system that
does not have this type of architecture. Zeiss should be able to come
in and replace your boards/processors/software without a lot of
trouble and in a reasonable period of time. Or, better yet, just mail
you the stuff and you do it yourself. I would consider Zeiss to be
pathetic, if they are unable to do so.

In your case, I would lobby against anyone buying a Zeiss confocal
until your problem is fixed such as by providing you with an upgrade
path that doesn't require more than a software patch and a new board?
But source code? That may just not be realistic unless you cut a deal
with them. You write (if necessary) and test the code, and Zeiss gets
to sell it. Just a suggestion.

Anyway, I am very interested in how this plays out. Please, keep the
List informed.

Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.
NanoMed Technologies, Inc.
1561 Posen Ave