CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2013

From:
Mario Emmenlauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:18:04 +0100

Hi,

we used several different of the newer video compression codecs, like
XviD or DivX and Quicktime, they all give surprisingly good results if
you don't have too much noise. You can prefilter a bit to reduce noise
and improve compression further.

With XviD we often compress 500MB TIFF time series of 2MP to ~10MB,
with acceptable quality, good enough for Beamer presentation. Thats
of course all depending on your noise and variance between images, but
I would anticipate a 10 - 50 fold decrease of size. XviD is well sup-
ported and freeware on most platforms, and we export from MetaXpress
directly.

Best,

    Mario